Regulatory and Licensing

Food App Just Eat fails to display hygiene ratings for takeaways given zero for hygiene

Over half of outlets rated as 0 for food hygiene by the Food Standards Agency in Birmingham are listed on Just Eat. 20 out of the 31 takeaways rated 0 are listed on Just Eat, but their food hygiene score is not displayed. Other major cities such as...

Fine of £8,000 after mice found during routine hygiene inspection

The owner of Desi Roti and Khana in Smethwick has pleaded guilty to four food hygiene offences at Wolverhampton Magistrates’ Court. The owner was ordered to a pay a fine of £8,000, costs of £1,439.59 and a victim surcharge of £170. ...

Kent County Council breaches Health and Safety legislation and is fined £200,000

Kent County Council has pleaded guilty to breaching regulation 10(1) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 after an asbestos rope was found hanging from the ceiling of a primary school. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)...

A high number of food businesses in Birmingham are failing to meet hygiene standards

Following research into 390 local authorities across the UK, Birmingham City Council was top of the rankings, for a second successive year, as one of the worst areas in the UK for food hygiene compliance. In Birmingham, 43 per cent of high and medium-risk...

Fly-tipping fine of £36,572.50 for accountancy firm

In April 2017, an investigation was undertaken by Environmental Health Officers at Brent Council after local residents reported rubbish being dumped near the office of Ommegas Services Ltd, an accountancy firm, in Kingsbury, Middlesex. The discovery of...

Seizure of 2,000 counterfeit "Squishies" toys

Wolverhampton Council’s Trading Standards team has seized more than 2,000 counterfeit “Squishies” toys after undertaking test purchases in Wolverhampton. The toys were transported in loose packaging from China. The toys were tested for...

Suspended prison sentence for careless bus driver

On 22 February 2016, Mr Van Chuyen Le, employed by Cambus Limited trading as Stagecoach East, lost control of the bus he was driving which caused it to jump over the guided section of the track and cross an adjacent path onto the side of a grassy embankment....

Shop's alcohol licence revoked following illegal cigarette sales

In September 2017, Police and Trading Standards Officers seized in excess of 14,000 illegal cigarettes and 380 grams of tobacco from the Polski Sklep N1 store in West Bromwich. The items, with a retail value of approximately £7,000, were disguised in...

Fine of £2,500 for zero star rating takeaway

Environmental Health Officers undertook an inspection of Bunters takeaway in Huntingdon in August 2017 following a complaint about the business. The takeaway was given a zero star food hygiene rating, which is the lowest possible score and means that...

Civil engineering company fined £50,000 for illegally dumping waste

John Jones Civil Engineering & Groundworks Ltd was fined £50,000 and ordered to pay prosecution costs of £50,000 at Hereford Magistrates’ Court on 3   July 2018 after pleading guilty to illegally depositing waste at Bage...

Northumbrian Water Ltd fined £33,600 for pollution incidents

Northumbrian Water Ltd was sentenced on 23 July at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court after pleading guilty to an offence under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016. The company was ordered to pay a fine of £33,600 in respect of three...

Sandwell restaurant fined almost £3,500 for food hygiene failures

Abdul Shamim, trading as the Dilshad restaurant in Wednesbury, was sentenced at Black Country Magistrates’ Court on 19 July 2018. Mr Shamim was fined £1,920 and ordered to pay costs of £1,408.14 to Sandwell Council as well as a victim...

Eight month custodial sentence after fire killed two brothers

The owner and director of Clearview Design and Construction Ltd, Mr Simon Thomerson, has received a custodial sentence after a fire killed two of his employees and injured another employee. On 3 October 2015, several employees were refurbishing several...

Fine of £1,200 for underage alcohol and cigarette sale

Booze Corner Ltd, an off-licence in Willenhall, has been fined £1,200 after selling alcohol to a person who was below the legal age to purchase it. The sale took place during a test purchase exercise by Walsall Council's Trading Standards...

Zero star rating for Croydon TK Maxx store following mouse droppings discovery

On 11 April 2018, the TX Maxx store in Croydon was inspected by an environmental health officer from Croydon Council. The store was given a zero star food hygiene rating, which is the lowest possible score, after mouse urine and droppings were discovered on...

Fine of £1.6million for car manufacturer following Legionnaires' disease outbreak and explosion

Faltec Europe Limited, a car parts manufacturer in Tyne and Wear, was fined £1.6million at Newcastle Crown Court on 17 May 2018 following an outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease and an explosion at the plant in the same year.   The company...

Furniture manufacturer fined £8,000 for hazardous dust exposure

Andrena Furniture Ltd, a dining and cabinet furniture manufacturer in Hertfordshire, pleaded guilty at Luton Magistrates’ Court on 2 May 2018 to breaching Regulations 7(1) and 9(2)(a) of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002. ...

NHS Trust fined £300,000 after patient dies from Legionnaires' disease

Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust (the Trust) pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 on 20 April 2018 at Bristol Crown Court. The Trust was fined £300,000 and ordered to pay costs of...

Fine for sale of cigarettes to 16 year-old Test Purchaser

Abington Supermarkets Ltd and director Sohan Lal were fined at Northampton Magistrates’ Court on 17 April 2018 after selling a packet of 20 cigarettes to a 16 year old Test Purchaser in August 2017....

Three construction companies fined £526,499 after worker is injured in fall

On 17 December 2015, an employee of Wessex Insulation Limited, Weymouth, fractured his back in six places after he fell four metres through a fragile roof whilst installing insulation in ventilation ductwork at a leisure centre. An investigation by the...
  • Page 1 of 3