How do I start divorce proceedings?

You are able to issue a Divorce Petition for dissolution of your marriage provided you have been married for at least 12 months. You will need your marriage certificate and also your spouse’s contact details.

The court fee is currently £593 (however this is subject to change from time to time). George Green offer a fixed fee for undefended Divorces.

You will need your marriage certificate in order to complete the application. If you do not have your original marriage certificate and you were married in the UK, a certified copy can be obtained from the Registry Office local to where you were married or you can order one from the General Register Office at . There is a nominal fee payable.

If you were married abroad and the certificate is not in English, it will need to be translated by a certified translator. It may be possible to issue an urgent Divorce Petition without the marriage certificate in certain circumstances. 

You can scan or take a photo of your marriage certificate but if you send the courts the original then you should be aware that the court will retain it.

In the event you do not have your spouse’s contact details there are a number of options available to you. George Green’s specialist matrimonial lawyers are able to assist in all aspects of relationship breakdown.

If you require any further assistance in respect of divorce proceedings, our family solicitors are based in WolverhamptonCradley Heath and Sutton Coldfield and serve clients across the West Midlands. For all new enquiries, complete our online enquiry form and a member of our team will respond, or please call 01902 328 365.