Can you delay a Decree Absolute?

A Decree Absolute formally and legally ends a marriage entirely.  Under certain circumstances, the petitioner of the divorce may wish to delay the granting of Decree Absolute.

The Court will be required to consider all the circumstances of both parties in order to delay the granting of a Decree Absolute.  These circumstances will include age, health, conduct, financial resources and financial obligations.  

The party wishing to delay the divorce must show that they will be heavily impacted financially should the Decree Absolute be granted.  To prevent an application for Decree Absolute from succeeding, it will often be contested that there has been a significant non-disclosure of financial assets and severe financial prejudice. 

However, an application to finalise a divorce will not be refused simply because proceedings for financial provision have not yet concluded.  The court is required to weigh up the respective prejudices suffered by both parties and exercise a just result for all involved.


Contact us

For further information, please contact, a Family Law Solicitor based in our Wolverhampton Office on 01902 328 355.

George Green have offices based in Wolverhampton and Cradley Heath and serve clients across the West Midlands and Black Country including Stourbridge, Wolverhampton, Halesowen, Birmingham and beyond. If you complete our online enquiry form, a member of our team will contact you for an initial discussion.