Emma handles a wide range of commercial disputes and litigation and specialises in property litigation such as lease renewals, boundary disputes and landlord and tenant disputes, as well as defamation claims. Emma acts for individuals as well as local and national companies.
Emma also assists partners in the team with more complex matters, including procurement and breach of contract cases.
- Successfully obtained possession of several residential properties.
- Successfully negotiated several contentious lease renewals.
- Advised both landlords and tenants in connection with opposed and unopposed lease renewals pursuant to section 25 notices and section 26 notices.
- Advised landlords in recovering possession of residential premises, including by section 8 notices and section 21 notices giving tenants notice that they are required to vacate the property.
- Successfully obtained possession of several commercial properties, through the use of the section 146 procedure and otherwise.
- Successfully recovered thousands of pounds in rent arrears for several landlords.
- Riley v Sivier  EWCA Civ 71 Assisted in representing a journalist in the Court of Appeal concerning the judge’s decision on his public interest defence to an article he had published concerning Countdown presenter Rachel Riley.
- X v Y and ors Acted in the Media and Communications list in a claim against numerous individuals who had been distributing defamatory comments in a residential association. Those individuals settled outside court.
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Poole v Hinton  EWHC 2331 (Ch) Assisted in representing the former chief executive of Claims Direct plc, Colin Poole, in successfully challenging a £21 million proof of debt said to have been assigned by Claims Direct relating to its floatation on the London Stock Exchange.
- Medequip Assistive Technology Ltd v Royal Borough Of Kensington And Chelsea  EWHC 3293 (TCC) Assisted in representing a supplier of medical equipment in a procurement challenge.
- X Ltd v Registrar of Companies Successfully applied to amend multiple companies’ accounts at Companies House.