With more than 25 years of experience, Fiona has gained specialist, hands on experience as a business services and transaction lawyer across all aspects of business activity. Fiona works with clients that range from smaller niche businesses to large multinationals.
Fiona joined George Green at the start of 2015 from an East Midlands firm, Smith Partnership, where she headed the Company and Commercial team.
Fiona has particular expertise and interest in working with owner managed and family businesses of all shapes and sizes across all sectors taking the time to understand the particular issues that affect that family and influence their business in order to focus on their specific sensitivities, needs and requirements.
Fiona has also developed specialist experience in the healthcare, manufacturing and engineering sectors. Fiona excels at working closely alongside her clients, their businesses and their other advisers in relation to both day to day and 'one-off' business structure, funding and owner relationship issues. Fiona acts as a trusted adviser to her clients as they plan and execute start up, re-organisation, retirement, succession, business sale, investment, growth and acquisition plans.
Some examples of the wide variety of business deals Fiona has advised on in recent years include:
- the sale of a specialist research and development and engineering company to GE (the US multinational) for $6m+
- the sale of a Staffordshire steel stockholder company to Corus for £2m+
- the management buy out of a Derbyshire based courier services company
- the sale of a Derbyshire based pizza franchise company owning many Domino’s franchises
- the re-organisation, management buy out and re-financing of a West Country based family adventure and amusement park
- the £5m+ refinancing of a Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire based property development group
- the re-organisation, sale and purchase of many Care Home businesses for various clients ranging in value from £1m to £5m+
- the re-organisation, sale and purchase of many niche engineering and manufacturing businesses ranging in value from £250,000 to £50+m
When not working as a lawyer Fiona is fully occupied with the many other unpaid jobs (cook, cleaner, washer woman, general fixer, coach, physio and chauffeur) that come with being a mum to 2 growing sons. Fiona was a strictly armchair sports fan until her 40th year when she took up Shukokai Karate with her eldest son and one of her proudest achievements is becoming a Sho Dan black belt.
Over the years independent reviewers of legal services have had many excellent things to say about Fiona including:
- Fiona Boxwell provides ‘a great service when faced with time-critical deadlines' (Legal 500 2014)
- Fiona Boxwell is well regarded for advising SME owners, including first-time sellers and others less experienced in corporate transactions through a variety of matters (Chambers & Partners Notable practitioners 2015)
- Fiona Boxwell ‘quickly grasps the nature of the client’s business’ (Legal 500 2013)
- “the approachable Fiona Boxwell is well informed and up to date with current health legislation” (Legal 500 2012)
- Fiona Boxwell has “immense technical qualities and ability to convey legal terms in an understandable way” (Legal 500 2011)
- “Fiona Boxwell is praised for her commercial expertise and attention to detail” (Legal 500 2010)
- “the attentive, diplomatic and very hard working” Fiona Boxwell specialises in acting on acquisitions and disposals for clients from SME’s to national companies (Legal 500 2009)