How can we agree the division of time with our children?

When couples separate a number of key decisions will need to be made particularly where there are children involved. Most importantly, the separating parents will need to decide where the children are going to live and the time that they are going to spend with each parent.

If separating couples can reach their own decision in respect where the children are to live and the time that they spend with each parent then no third party should need to become involved with the agreement reached between the parents.

If, however, an agreement cannot be reached the parents may wish to consider seeking legal advice from family law specialists in respect of the following possible options for helping to reach an agreement/decision:

  1. Discussions between Solicitors;

  2. Mediation; or an

  3. Application to the Court.

Whilst most parents would no doubt hope to avoid the need for Court proceedings, these will provide the parents with a clearly defined Court Order that confirms the arrangements for the children including the care arrangements during term time, arrangements for school holidays and arrangements for key holidays such as Christmas or Easter.

If the Court are required to make a decision in respect of the arrangements for children their primary consideration will always be the best interests of the child and they will look to a list of key considerations as well as recommendations from CAFCASS (the Children And Family Court Advisory and Support Service) to help make their decision.

George Green’s specialist Family Lawyers are experts in advising clients in respect of the arrangements for children.  If you wish to discuss your matter in a free initial telephone consultation call Mark Vandaele on 01902 796930 ( at our Wolverhampton office or Rachel Baker on 01384 340 580 ( at our Cradley Heath office.